The bathroom is done! This wasn’t a major remodel, but the bathroom had some issues we needed to address.
First off, it was tiny. There wasn’t even enough room for a regular door to open. When we moved in, there was a bi-fold closet door on the bathroom. Not ideal, even less so when my kids kept smashing their fingers in it. I took it off and put up a curtain. That’s probably even less ideal, but at least the kids weren’t getting their fingers smashed.
Our solution was to extend the bathroom into the hall. The old hall only went to the bathroom anyway. I gained a spot to put in a vanity area and significantly increased the size of the bathroom. And we could put in a door. That closes. And locks. (Because of duct-work, the door has to swing outwards, but it’s not a big deal.)
Besides moving the doorway, we also re-did the flooring. I think the easiest way to make flooring look cheap is to put in stick-on tiles poorly. Which is what we had.
So we tore them up to the concrete.
And we refinished the concrete.
I really love it and the plan is to finish the concrete this way in other parts of the basement as well. It’s not perfect: this was my first time doing the concrete that way, and I made a few mistakes. I went ahead and started small, so I can now do the rest of the concrete better.
We finished the concrete by using a black concrete stain, putting on grey decorative flakes, and a couple coats of wet-look concrete sealer. (All Behr products from Home Depot.) It was an inexpensive flooring option, we always have the option to go back and put different flooring on if it doesn’t wear well. So far so good though.